Everyone has their own turning point. For some, that "a-ha moment" might come from seeing an unflattering photo of themselves. For others, it might be having to ask for a seatbelt extender on an airplane, or not being able to keep up during a family hike. Maybe it comes in the form of something much more serious, like worrisome test results from the doctor or a life-threatening medical emergency.
While these instances can change a life around for the good, not everyone experiences them. Sometimes, a turning point can be as simple as a a single piece of advice given in a time of need.
Advice is a tricky thing. It usually comes from a good place, from a well-meaning loved one who only wants the best for you. But in some cases, it can also be misguided, unsolicited or even downright hurtful. And, of course, advice is all about timing—even when it's good, solid guidance, delivered gently and compassionately, it won't do any good unless you're ready to accept it.
For these SparkPeople members, a well-timed piece of advice made all the difference. Just a few words gave them the nudge they needed to change their lives.
What is the best advice you have received along your path to weight loss, health, fitness or wellness?
- Count your blessings, especially when you don't think you have any. And just keep putting one foot in front of the other. – Diann Toler Dunn
- The journey starts with a single step—not with thinking about taking a step. – Jeff Olson, "The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness" – Barbara Barkocy Merchant
- Just keep moving! – Sherry Waugh
- My doctor said, "One pound a week is 52 in a year." It was a life-changing statement. – Donna Gettings Apperson
- It's the journey, not the destination. – Analisa Munaretto Helton
- Think "Just for today." If you are thinking about weeks and months and years, then you get overwhelmed. Think that "Just for today, I am going to love myself enough to treat myself better." – TEXASHSMOMOF3
- If you are going to waste your time, why not waste it doing something useful, like going to the gym? – NEOMATTLAC
- Someone reminded me that even though I have a weight-loss goal, my life doesn't start when I hit it. My life is now, and regardless of how near or far from my goal weight, I have a life to live and love. – CREATINGMAGIC
- When you slip, get right back on it. Don't wait for Monday or tomorrow or even the next meal—grab a glass of water, go for a walk if possible, forgive yourself, forgive yourself again, declare yourself back on track and keep tracking! Figure out what you'll do next time in that situation. – SLENDERELLA61
- Before he passed away, my grandfather told me: "It's never too late to start over. You can be anything your heart desires. Never give up. Never surrender until you reach your dreams." It had so much more meaning when trying to find my peace of mind and find the path that would truly make me happy. – MIZFENTON
- Don't give up. Accept that you will make mistakes and have setbacks. Learn from them, embrace them and continue to move forward. – Sue Friend Robinson
- Every day is not good, but there is something good in every day. – Pamela Brown
- Not every day is going to be go as you planned. Dust yourself off and try again tomorrow. – Carla Murray
- Be patient and forgive yourself. – Jaime Wheelock
- Be kinder to yourself. Let go of perfection. – Vicki Bradbury Decie
- When you feel like quitting, think about why you started. – Setha Suth
- A friend told her son, "Some people are just weak and can't quit smoking." I quit that night and have never smoked again in 14 years. – Annette Abbott
- One word changed my life and it is every place I look in my house and I put it at the end of my blog every day. The word is "Believe." It made all the difference. – KATHYJO56
- My mom would often say to me as I struggled to lose the weight, "Winners never quit and losers never win," which helped me to not quit. – DIANEDOESSMILES
- Love yourself, you matter, and you're worth it! – TEXASHSMOMOF3
- Life's not fair. We are only victims if we choose to be. The quickest way out of the pain is forgiveness. Forgiveness isn't for the one who hurt us. Forgiving the one who hurt us is done so that they no longer have the power to manipulate our emotions. The moment we forgive, the pain drops away, and we are free to move on. So get up, brush yourself off, set your face like flint toward your future, and create the life YOU want to have. - HAPPYDOES
- No experience is ever wasted. You can always learn something. – Debi Violante Philippa
- Just change one thing at a time. – Lori-Ann Shortt
- When my oncologist got in my face and said, "This weight gain has got to stop!" I had been trying and failing to get back on the wagon, but after he said that, I jumped right on, and I thank him every six months when I see him. – Kay Larrabee Horton
- Try SparkPeople. Ten years later, it's still keeping me going. – Collar Anita Cuffs
- This is for life! – Stephanie Bassett
- Being overweight is hard. Losing weight is hard. Choose your hard. – KASEYCOFF
You will earn 5 SparkPoints