See this image larger
He had to "run" with me

See this image larger
Houska Houska 5k, May 2010

See this image larger
The reason for my absence; my reasoning for being!

go to goodies page
go to goodies page
Happy Birthday
go to goodies page
Happy Birthday

ANNEKATHLEEN is a SparkPeople Motivator!

See All SparkPeople Motivators
Shared Food & Fitness Trackers
Interact with ANNEKATHLEEN
Add as SparkFriend Send Private Message Leave Comment Recent Message
Board Posts

This quote has really helped me on my journey!
"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make... you dance all night, and the body was never tired...You've always got to make the mind take over and keep going."
- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General & 1912 Olympian

Some Rewards:
195: Pedicure with mi hermana [Goal achieved: 4/29/09]
190: Office Supplies (I LOVE THESE!) [Goal achieved: 7/25/09]
185: New eyeshadow [Goal achieved: 8/14/09]
180: New song from iTunes [Goal achieved]

Time for some more mini-goals! i've forgotten that this was on my page! So, here goes:

175: Pedicure! (badly needed) [goal achieved]
170: Massage with my hubby [goal achieved]
165: New Jeans [goal achieved 12/15/09]
160: Boots! [goal achieved: January 2010]

12/26/09 new goals
150: ULTIMATE GOAL: My hubby is going to buy me an SLR camera!
145: (just recently decided to see if I can get here)

I've had a few people ask me how I've gotten to where I am. Well, here goes!

Really, I've just been consistent with exercise (I do at least 5 days of cardio a week and 3 of strength training) and, as much as possible, lower my portion size by at least 25%. It has been a rough journey, but one well worth it! I feel so much better now that I've lost 55 lbs!

If I had any advice this would be it:
1) don't skimp on strength training. I had to force myself to do it because I hated it so, but once I did, I started consistently losing.

2) Use the 80 /20 rule: be good 80% of the time (ie, exercise and eat good-for-you foods). The other 20% of the time you can endulge. This has saved me! I am in a love affair with chocolate, therefore I could not just dump him on the side of the road. 80/20 saves me!

3) When you fall off the wagon and finally realize it, jump back on as soon as you figure it out! And don't be discouraged. Everyone falls off the wagon. I've done it multiple times of multiple times.

4) Get active. When I started this journey I realized I did a lot of sitting in front of my tv. While my house wasn't what you'd call a pig sty, it wasn't nearly as clean as it should have been. Now, everyday, I'm doing chores again. Anything from laundry to dishes to sweeping to vacuuming. I'm more active now because of it and my house looks great!

5) Push yourself to try new things. Haven't tried the pull-up machine at the gym? Do it! Never swam laps before? Get out there and try it. Your muscles get "confused" when you try new things, so you've got to keep doing it! Confused muscles is a good thing!

Hope this helps! I know it's easy to get discouraged. I've been there before, but know that you can do it! The weight won't start falling off immediately; you must be patient and keep going when you think you don't have it in you anymore. Eventually, you will reap the rewards of 5, 10, 20, 30 pounds down.

In the sweet words of Dori from "Finding Nemo": "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

Member Since: 9/23/2007

Fitness Minutes: 28,778

My Goals:
1. 8, 8oz glasses of H20 per day


3. Maintain weight between 145 and 155.

My Program:
1. Take my Nalgene bottle with me everywhere I go.

2. Order only H20 at restaurants.

3. 45 mins. of cardio 4x/week.

4. Strength training 3x/week.

Personal Information:
Anne, Colorado

"It is exercise alone that supports the spirits, and keeps the mind in vigor." ~Marcus Tullius Cicero

Other Information:
I am 5'9" tall. :)

I heart my husband, books, movies, tennis, snowboarding, hugs, kisses, chocolate, and teaching. :)

Read More About ANNEKATHLEEN - Profile Information moved here. (Updated June 21)

Shown if member clicks "Read More"

(Shown after Message Board Posts)
Add a Link
Save Changes
My Ticker:
 current weight: 160.0 
Login to Leave Comment
Member Comments (997):  123Next >Last >>