KOSHIE1
350,000-499,999 SparkPoints 350,243
SparkPoints
 

What a day!

Sunday, November 28, 2010

It was windy the night before Thanksgiving.... we woke up to the microwave oven and the refrigerator and the TV and the automatic fireplace not functioning. Thank goodness I had done a LOT of advance preparation, and thank goodness I had decided to simplify this year's feast... somehow, it all got done on time and got on the table while still hot , cold or room-temperature, whichever was correct for the food....
AND I DIDN'T STRESS OUT!

Next day, I tried calling an appliance manufacturer's technical help line. The LADY was helpful! It seems there is a possibility of static electricity build-up, which can interfere with appliance electronics. Since all other possibilities were proven inapplicable or ineffective (for that particular appliance), she advised us to try flipping the electrical circuit breaker to "off" and leaving the circuit "off" for 10 minutes in hopes of discharging static electricity -- before calling a service repairman.

Guess what? It worked! And if it worked for the microwave, would it work for the fridge? YES! TV? No... Fireplace? No.... Still, that is 500 bucks that STAYED in my pocket...!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • KICK-SS
    The electronic controls on your appliances, I always liken to the computer. Sometimes you have to just power everything OFF and start over.

    I used to have an appliance store and we sold appliances, parts and did service and this was what we always told our customers to try first before they'd have us out because 90% of the time, it would fix the problem. (made for some happy customers - such as you).

    Betty
    3411 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment


    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.