Weight Control: Replace, Reduce, and Realize Better Eating
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
* Unhealthy fats-----certain oils, butter, or margarines-----can usually be cut by one-third to one-half in recipes.
* Reduce the meat and increase the vegetables in stews and casseroles.
* Use substitutes such as applesauce instead of butter, margarine, or oil in baked goods.
* Use whole-wheat instead of white flour when baking.
* Buy reduced-fat cheese or use mozzarella, which is naturally lower in fat.
* In recipes calling for sour cream, use Greek-style yogurt instead.
* Opt for whole-grain pasta and bread.
* Use frozen fruit without added sugar if fresh is unavailable.
* You can cut the sugar in most recipes by one-third to one-half.
* Top a baked potato or salad with salsa instead of high-fat dressing or butter.