Saturday, January 14, 2012
I am at the place where I realize my Health & Fitness journey will always be that, a journey and road to travel on. My focus has changed in the past few years.
In 2008, I discovered running. I ran my first marathon in February 2009. Since then, I have run 3 marathons per year, through 2011. In 2011, my race times got increasingly worse, and my body has felt increasingly broken down. Knee, foot and back problems have plagued me more and more. I have gained weight, gotten sloppy with training and tried to squeeze too many races into too little time.
This year, I hope to scale back and focus on quality, rather than the quantity of my running.
In 2012, I will not run a marathon.
This will be a hard goal for me to achieve. I feel like I should be training for one. There has rarely been a time in the past few years, where I have not been. It feels odd not to be signed up for a race, and not making race plans.
However, I do not plan to NOT run. I plan to focus on shorter distance races, and improve my times. I am excited to put more of energy into running speedier half-marathons.
Other goals for the year include:
• Beat my Run Through Redlands Half Marathon time of 1:57. This year’s race is on April 22nd, so I have some time to work on my speed!
• Practice yoga consistently. I am committing to at least once per week!
• Increase my strength training. As much as I hate ST, I run much stronger when my leg muscles are built up.
• Speed work! I hope to run speed intervals at the track, at least once per week.
• Hike at least once per month.
• Climb Mt. Whitney!
• Backpack at least twice