Details on my House Fire.
Sunday, October 20, 2013
Woke up before 4 am this morning. The hotel has a computer so I thought I would let me friends know a little bit more about what happened.
About 8:30 Friday morning my husband was working on a boat in the garage. He works on one thing or another all the time. He did the usual soaking the boat down with water and had fire extinguishers (2) on hand. He was using a saw inside the boat a spark hit the drained of gas engine and wham it went up.
I was inside getting ready for a Walmart trip and heard him yell. Something about the yell was more than the yell of smashing his thumb. I Opened the house garage door and saw that we had a fire. A bad one, it blew up at some point too.
He told me to call 911. Someone walking by screamed at us that we would not be able to put this out. I started into the house and remembered my birds were in the back part of the garage where their day area with tv and videos and stands are. I didn't call 911 but ran back to get them. Birds die from smoke inhalation faster than humans. I got halfway to there and out of the smoke and fire came my husband with a bird under each arm, cradled like footballs. In my photos you can see how big these birds are. Anyway, I grabbed them and ran back into the house for a stand. The house by this time was filling with smoke and the alarms were blaring . I had to risk putting them outside on the patio and hope they didn't fly away with fear.
By this time the man walking by had entered the home and was assisting my 92 year old mom (who wanted her shoes and purse before she would go). It goes on from there. I guess there is an entire video of the fire filmed by the fire dept. If you are interested it is at www.havasuscannerfeed.com and you type in 3300 or Iroquois and you can see it. I started to, but when they were talking about a female still inside (which was me on the back porch with the birds) I started to cry.
We all got out alive. We will be out of the house for 6 months. The firefighters here are amazing. They saved all the furniture that was in danger and carried it outside. Did you know they do that?
Tomorrow I will write more about that.
Please pray we find a home soon to live in while our house is being restored. But we already got the biggest gift from God, we are alive and so are our pets. Oh yes, somewhere in there I grabbed the dog, or that man did that was walking by so Brody is okay too.
Later my friends. I find this comforting for some unknown reason, to write this down.