medical issues up the wazoooooooo... But Im working on it.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A lot has happened since my last post anywhere... A lot to do with my health. It has definitely declined, or maybe the new primary care dr I have actually just gave a fu ck to be throrough enough.

In October of 2014 I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. Obviously due to my excess weight... My doctor said that my body had become resistant to the insulin my pancreas was producing, but that it is Highly likely that as long as I lose the weight, the diabetes could go away completely.

Shortly after that, due to abnormal levels of liver enzymes in my blood, my doctor had me set up an ultrasound. Results were a fatty liver. Again, this happened as a result of my weight, however, seeing the bright side, its curable; by weight loss.

Due to tachycardia; which is a fancy way of saying my heart was beating too fast, they had me see a cardiologist. She took down family history, and current habits, and suggested that I do an echocardiogram; aka heart ultrasound, and a Halter monitor test, which is just a monitor that they leave on you for 24 hours to try to catch any possible abnormalities in the way your heart is beating. Both came back fine. Considering that I don't drink energy drinks, I do not smoke, nor do I do drugs, The doctor said that my tachycardia is just due to my heart having to work harder because of my weight. Again, the bright side being that as long as I lose the weight the issue will correct itself.

My primary care doctor, being the sensible and thorough woman she is, started me on Metformin. The drug was to be taken twice a day. I, of course, Did my research on the drug. Most common side effects being diarrhea and nausea, I can see why people lost weight on this drug. However, Upon more research, i read that Metformin was actually made originally to be a weight loss drug, BUT when medical professionals realized it had the effect of lowering blood sugar and essentially A1C levels (which are just a 3 month average glucose level), they marketed it towards diabetics instead. Smart. I'd have done the same and been just as rich I'm sure.

First 4 weeks of taking metformin went as follows; Checked my blood sugar levels every day as I was told to do by my dr. They instantly went from the fasting BS level of about 179, to in the 130's. Significant improvement there. However, the side effects plagued me to the point where I wondered if I was pregnant despite the birth control in my arm LOL Nausea to the point of vomiting, and consistently had to run to the bathroom to let it out the other end. i couldn't be mad at the drug, it was doing what it was supposed to do, make me lose weight, just not the way I wanted to lose it LOL The first few weeks after being deemed diabetic, I lost 12 pounds. And have not lost a bit more since.

Dr just started me on glipizide, and I started my first day today. We will see how I feel, I will take a BS reading before bed tonight.

Primary care also recommended me to see a podiatrist, an optometrist, a nutritonist, and a urologist (due to some gross hematuria I experienced for almost 4 weeks straight).

The podiatrist and optometrist appointments went along seamlessly. Results of all tests including diabetic eye exam and PAD test came back perfect.

Now, lets talk about the urologist. Dr. Cambio out of johnston RI. Treated me as though I knew nothing at all about anything I was talking about. He scheduled me to do a cystoscopy at RWMC in providence RI.

I've had some very bad experiences with some shoddy medical professionals that are only out to do their job for the money. I do not trust them. My primary care is the exception, and even then I am very wary and cover all bases. Luckily enough, I work in a lab as a phlebotomist so i do my own blood work and have access to my own results.

In any case, my experience went alright with a few sub-par pieces. I normally do not respond well to any kind of anesthesia; past experiences have proven that. What typically ensues is a mass nauseous hysteria and then vomiting... for 24 hours straight. I warned them profusely about this possibility, and they listened. they gave me twice the normal dosage of anti-nausea meds in my IV, and let me tell you, it worked wonders! I was so happy to not have vomited!

They put something in the IV and reassured me that that was "not the main event" as far as anesthesia was concerned. But as soon as I started to feel a loss of control over myself, dizzy and woozy, I started to panic and cry. I was a shivering blubbering mess, the room was freezing! A really nice male nurse brought me blankets, and then as he saw the tears streaming down my face, he rubbed my arm and told me it was going to be ok. Those are the kinds of people that you know without a doubt should be in the medical field. Compassion is, by far, the most rare quality in medical professionals nowadays.

And then before I even realized I'd succumbed to the power of the anesthesia, I woke up. Crampy, in pain, arms flailing because I didn't have the fine control of my muscles that I was looking for. I slowly realized I was gagging... On what? I had no idea. Then I vaguely heard someone say, "Oh, she's gagging on the tube, pull it out!" They gently removed the tube, and as they did I could feel the ribbed ridges on it. I began to have an asthma attack. I started Panicking again, because i could only take half breaths insetad of full ones. They put a mask over my face, oxygen i would assume, and I continued trying to cough up whatever wanted to get out of my lungs. A few times, I had to turn my head to the side so they could suction the mass of mucus that I coughed up. Eventually, I was breathing normal again. Before they took me to recovery, I told them I had to poop. Their response was typical; "OH you probably just FEEL like you have to poop because of the pressure in that area." I Shook my head groggily.

I am not sure how much time passed, but I eventually was in recovery, more able to move and walk now, but still a bit unsteady. I told the nurse, "Lady, I have to poop." Her response was the same as the ones before it. I cut her off - "Lady, if i don't get to the bathroom asap, I'm gonna have no choice but to poop in this bed..." That surely changed her tune. IV and all, she escorted me to the bathroom, where I immediately emptied my bowels in severe watery diarrhea. Imagine if she hadn't taken me to the bathroom...

After I was discharged, the boyfriend took me home, where I stayed awake the rest of the day and noticed some bright red blood which i expected to happen. Dr. Cambio also did a biopsy of my bladder, which he did not tell me he was going to do. I like to be told exactly what to expect in a situation.

In my follow up, dr. cambio told me he did see a little blood in my bladder, and some inflammation. I asked him why there would be, his response was vague and he told me it could be a number of things, but that it wasn't concerning him at all, and he set the next appointment for 11 months... He Then proceeded to tell me that the amount of protein coming out in my urine from my kidneys, was dangerous. That I needed to lose weight fast. He suggested WLS (weight loss surgery). I am considering this now, it will take a year to be approved for this surgery. However, dr. cambio's obvious disinterest in trying to find the cause of the inflammation and bleeding concerned me. I asked my primary care for a referral to a different urologist. Request granted.

My Nephrologist appointment is coming up in January/February of 2015. I asked dr. cambio if the damage done to my kidneys is irreversible, he said yes. I want a confirmation of this from my nephrologist.

So far that sums up my last 6 months as far as medical issues go. I'll keep everyone updated.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • AJB121299
    good luck with everything
    2103 days ago
    Good luck with everything! Only positive from now on.
    2103 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.