Commencing to Prepare
Tuesday, January 06, 2015
My friend tells the story of a law firm that charged her family for "commencing to prepare" for their case. I don't know if that is true or not, but I am taking the idea for myself for at least the first part of 2015. When I have tried to lose weight in the past, I have tried to battle it while not being consistent with the foundation activities that have a huge impact on weight loss success. So I am going to start 2015 by only focusing on the basics. I want to get back to consistency so I am not fighting against myself.
So, for now, these are my short-term goals. I am not looking to be perfect about it. I am a perfectionist and I get too weirded out when I goof up..My focus is 80%. I CAN achieve these things 80% (or more) of the time!!
1. Exercise 15 minutes per day. This is a tough one for me because I really HATE it. I have made it 6 days so far and I am beginning to cultivate a new attitude toward it.
2. Check and record my blood sugar at least once per day. Not a perfect way to manage my diabetes, but it is a starting point.
3. Take all medications as prescribed. I had gotten away from this and really created a road block for myself in many, many ways.
4. Get that darn potato chip monkey off my back. I am tired of being a slave to a root. For now I am banning all chips. I need to kick the habit totally before I can start over and develop a healthy relationship with them as an occasional treat, not a daily food staple.
5. Keep a jar of positive thoughts I have about me. These can include successes toward my goals, compliments I give myself, or something else that focuses on retraining the negative messages toward myself.
Five short-term goals might seem like a lot, but they are really just single goals in various aspects of my life. Not sure when I will consider myself ready to move on from these goals, but for right now, the action is more important than the time.