15,000-19,999 SparkPoints 15,099

Saying goodbye to Mia and Cookie

Friday, July 17, 2015

This blog is to portray two stories. I had to put two more animals down. One in April and one in May.

Mia - She was introduced to us in 2005. My husband owned a pizza place two doors down from the owner of a laundromat. I was talking with the wife one day and telling her about our wonderful animals and how much I love them. She asked, "Do you want another?" Strange question for someone who has only known me for a couple of months. She explained about Mia, a border collie mixed with regular collie. They adopted her in 1999 from a shelter because she was just so cute. Named Mia for the soccer player Mia Hamm because when she curled up, she looked just like a soccer ball. A year later they put her outside almost 24/7 (except when it was freezing or boiling) She was a on a dog run and had her own dog house. She was completely undisciplined because she almost never had attention (that family loved mini poodles). We took her. Over the next 10 years, she was a great dog. Friendly, lots of energy, a complete lady, and very very trained. Fast forward to January 2015. I came home to a flurry of dogs and was getting ready to feed them. I noticed Mia leaning up against a corner of a wall, with her head cocked to the side, down, and nose pointing back. I thought at first she had injured herself. She stumbled. I took her to the vet and they diagnosed her with "old dog vestibular disorder". It is like vertigo to you and me. Jay Jay had it when he first came to us. Over the next 1-1/2 weeks, she stayed on the couch. I fed her and gave her water when she would take it. I cleaned her potty stains and changed the blankets and towels below her. During this time, I had taken her to the vet again and this other vet was concerned about her paws. She would flip them under and three of them Mia was correct. One she would not. She thought stroke and gave her three days to start walking or she suggested euthanasia. Well, the third day she walked on her own on the deck. I filmed it and showed the vet who was STUNNED. Over the next three months she recovered nicely. We started feeding her wet food and she loved being pampered. Then early April she had another episode, this time I saw her motor skills decline. I put her back on the couch and it only took her a week to start to walk on her own and eat great. Then on Sunday April 26, I woke up. I heard a thumping sound twice. I went upstairs and saw Mia on the carpet with her paw in the air waving like she was having a dream. I thought she was asleep. When I came back down the hall, she was in the same position. I petted her and shook her. Her eyes were open. I moved her and a puddle of something was below her head and she had pooped herself. I knew it was the end. I woke my hubby up and he agreed to call the vet. I called and the vet met us there. She went peacefully. I kissed her and told her I loved her.

Cookie - She was introduced to us by my step daughter in July 2009. One of her friends was going through a divorce and neither wanted to take this cat. This cat was only 6. I went over to the former house, caught this Tortoise Shell cat with the ex-husband's help, put her in a carrier, and drove off. Unfortunately my air conditioning was not working so I had the windows down. On the way to my house, this cat yowled like she was dying, then rolled over on her side, panted heavily, and gave me that look. So, I opened the carrier, she crawled on my lap, and she calmed down and ceased panting. Over the next 6 years she was a character, always vocal like torties will be and very very very affectionate. Fast forward to May. She had been throwing up a couple times a week for about 7 months or so. She still ate, drank, peed, and pooped, so I did not think anything of it. She had been losing weight...a lot of it. So, I brought her in to the vet after Mia had been put to sleep. They did blood work and it showed her kidney level was very high. The levels went up to 4.2 and she was at 5. They suggested some kind of medication what opens blood flow to the kidneys and also a special food, which had no protein in it. I was brought back to the time in 1998 when my first cat Rusty had kidney failure and he only lasted 2 weeks after being diagnosed and he had suffered. I promised Cookie she would not suffer. She kept throwing up but did eat and also dined on her brother's special food. On May 11, I noticed she was very very skinny and constantly throwing up. I told my hubby that the next day if she had not made in the box I would take her in to be put down. On May 12, she had not made in the box. I called the vet and told them what was up. There were a vet there in the middle of the day, generally doing surgeries. I put her in the carrier and this time she made no sound on the way. Normally she howled like she was dying. She went peacefully. Her normal vet was also there and gave me a big hug.

We will miss you both, but we will see you again in Heaven.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    I'm sorry for your loss. It's so hard losing furbabies.
    2155 days ago
    Read this blog with tears. My little boy, Prince William, died last December of a heart attack before my very eyes. It was so difficult. His brother, Harry (Himalayan), is doing fine though.
    2157 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by FEDGIRL4