Huband's 3rd Injection & Follow-up
Thursday, September 22, 2016
The 3rd Injection didn't make any change in Josh's progress. He seems to have plateaued with his improvements. They still can't get much reflex out of his left leg or foot. He still has burning and pain down the back of his leg to the knee and upper calf. They are concerned at this point because we are sitting at 4 months and the nerve is showing weakness and no improvement in strength. He can't raise up on his toes on that leg at all. He can do it no problem on the right leg. They say the longer he goes the weaker that nerve will become. SO, in conclusion they have decided surgery is necessary to get the disc off of the nerve and relieve the pressure to get him back to normal ASAP before more nerve damage and weakness can occur. They said that this long into it, if the nerve was going to heal and make progress on its on, or with the help of injections, it already would have. That, of course, is not happening.
The surgery is going to be a discectomy, which they say has a very high success rate if he will follow ALL of the follow-up instructions and do what he is told. Believe me, I will make sure he does!!
I do not want a repeat of this any time soon, nor does he. He has been pretty miserable. He says he feels like he has felt on the bottom of his foot and sand between his toes. His leg will go numb when he sits for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. He says driving in a car induces it faster. It has been a rough road for him. He is ready to be "normal" again if that is even possible.
We have to be at the hospital next Thursday at 5:30 am which is an hour away for us so that means we have to get up at around 3:30 in the morning...ugh, but it will be worth it. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers that all goes well.