LOSER05
(Online Now)
500,000-749,999 SparkPoints 646,739
SparkPoints
 

Top Pet Holiday Hazards

Saturday, December 22, 2018





Here's the bad thing about pet emergencies: they can happen anytime — especially around the holidays. During the days surrounding Christmas Day and New Year's Day last season, pet owners took their dogs and cats to the veterinarian more often than the rest of the year to treat holiday-related medical maladies.

That’s a lot of pet emergencies and a lot of money in vet bills.

This is alarming because many of these emergencies can be avoided and completely prevented.

Here’s the top holiday hazards and tips to keep your pet safe this holiday season provided by Pets Best Pet Insurance.
Image

HOLIDAY ORNAMENTS

With sharp edges, these decorations can cause perforations and lacerations to pets that try to chew or play with them. Keep them up high and out of the way, or skip them all together this year!
Image

ELECTRICAL CORDS

The same is true with holiday lights. Make sure they are strung securely and cannot become lose if your pet has access to the bright strings!
Image

CHOCOLATE

Halloween and holiday chocolates are extremely dangerous to our pets! Keep them out of reach, or out of the house!
Image

MEDICATIONS

Traveling household guests may have open suitcases on the ground, and that could lead to a pet ingesting something harmful like prescription medications. Something to be mindful of if guests are staying with you this holiday season!
Image

ALCOHOL

It may seem unlikely that your dog or cat might sip an alcoholic drink, but keep in mind that alcohol is poisonous and if ingested can cause a variety of health issues.
Image

TINSEL

Anyone with a cat knows that the shiny décor can be extremely problematic. Tinsel is thin and sharp, and can easily wrap itself around the intestines or ball up in your pet’s stomach if ingested.
Image

PLANTS

Winter holidays are known for beautiful wreaths, mistletoe, and holly. Unfortunately, these can also be the most toxic holiday plants to pets, causing severe gastrointestinal disorders, breathing difficulty, heart failure and more.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post