Once every four years, magic happens—a leap year. When the Earth's orbit needs a little more time to realign itself with our calendar, we're granted a precious extra 24 hours to enjoy however we so choose. It's an extra day of living, an extra day to work towards your goals and an extra day of being excellent. It is our duty, nay our responsibility, as people of this world to take full advantage of this bonus day, gifted to us by Pope Gregory XIII's "Gregorian Calendar." Right?
Right! For something that only comes around every four years, it's important to embrace it for all its rarely seen glory. This year, chuck the old "I don't have time" excuse out the window—you have a whole bonus day, after all—pick one of these 29 activities and live your best life.
How are you planning on spending your leap year bonus day?
- Finally crack open that book that your daughter let you borrow three years ago.
- Use a guest pass to try a workout at a studio you've never attended.
- Take the kids to the playground and challenge them to a swinging or monkey bar race.
- Discover your new favorite slow cooker recipe.
- Master the art of the perfect red lip. Because, who run the world? That's right.
- Remember that museum that you swore you were going to visit when you moved to this town or city 10 years ago? Now is the perfect time to go.
- Set the kids up with a 30-minute cartoon show, then escape to a quiet room to practice 30 minutes of meditation.
- You know that "DIY Mania!" Pinterest board you've been pinning to for years? Pick a project, hit the craft store and check at least one off your list.
- Embrace the adult coloring book phenomenon.
- Did you always want to do something as a kid but couldn't thanks to strict parents or a lack of allowance money? Do that thing today! Fly a kite or take a karate class. Anything that awakens your inner child.
- Do some research and find a local charity that you're passionate about. Then, fill out their volunteer form, hit submit and get excited for all the good you're about to do.
- Visit your parents, grandparents, siblings or someone you care about.
- Spin the globe, drop your finger on a country and get educated on another part of the word. Hello, Wiki.
- Catch up on "Serial" or another podcast that's been on your radar.
- You've heard all about foam rollers, but haven't actually experienced the awesome relief from using one. Change that today.
- Play tourist in your own state. Look into a must-see attraction, jump in the car, crank the tunes, hit the road and see what the hype is all about. Buy some postcards and send them off to out-of-town family, too!
- Head to a farmers market, fish market or another specialty shop on a mission: To find something unique and build a delicious meal around it.
- Write something. Anything. It could be a poem or song lyrics or a reflection on your favorite childhood memory.
- Visit your local animal shelter and take a sweet pooch for a walk around the park.
- Trampoline. Park. Find one. Jump. Be happy.
- Bake a healthy bread and take it to a neighbor.
- Upload all of those photos on your phone and print out some hard copies. Memories!
- Visit YourNextRead.com to discover your next favorite book.
- Go old school and pick up a pen to write a letter (yes, a real letter with paper and ink) to send to that long-distance friend you always swear you're going to call once life stops getting in the way.
- Channel your inner Britney (or Elaine Benes if that's more your style) and have a dance party in your living room.
- Find a new location in your area that you rarely visit and make it the site of your workout for the day.
- Be like Messi and organize a pick-up game of soccer (or your favorite sport) at the local park.
- Bedazzle something because we're adults now and we get to decide what that means.
- "Breaking Bad" marathon. Yes, it really is as great as everyone says it is.
You will earn 5 SparkPoints