House Fire

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Here are our pictures from our house fire. It happened on Tuesday, December 21st. It made for an extra hectic Christmas. One of my children had made a microwave chex mix recipe, but after just 3 minutes in, it started smoking... not wanting to fill the house with smoke, it was placed outside the house on a large Rubbermaid container (that held our lawn chairs and cushions for our patio furniture) that was covered with a foot of snow. Evidently, the oxygen hitting the hot coals of the gardettos in the chex mix and the butter, started the fire. We did not hear or smell it, because the house already had a smokey smell. The neighbor's birthday happened to be on December 21st, so they were planning a birthday party, and the sister and her husband arrived and smelled smoke. They went looking around to see where it was coming from, and found a rather large fire at that point on our deck. They ran around to tell us, when I went to look, I could see the fire in the door window and our siding was actually melting before my eyes. I called 911 and my daughter and I got the dogs outside. I checked to make sure all the kids were out, and the boys started fighting the fire. Amazingly, both of my boys had dreamed the sun room was on fire a few nights before and one had made a plan of what he should do if the house was ever on fire. My husband had gone to pick up my other son from work, and had taken one daughter to stop at the store to buy more ingredients for chex mix. I called him, but he did not arrive until after the firemen got there. My boys and the neighbor actually got the fire out before the fire trucks had arrived!! The fire did get into the house... it caught the curtain and blind on fire, the rug at the door and the frame of the glass in the door. Ben threw everything on fire out the door, and beat the fire with a boot. I was glad they put out the fire, but if I knew he had been running into the house, I would have been worried SICK!!

As much as we don't like to see problems in life, especially at inconvenient times, like Christmas... we really saw God's hand in it all. My mom and dad were on their way up to spend Christmas with us, and my dad did a lot of work to get it livable for us!! At a time like this (so close to Christmas) it would have been hard to find some one willing to do it... it just happens that my dad IS a carpenter, and does this kind of work every day for a living!! We found some great sales on the doors... One of the old doors was actually rotting around the frame and we didn't know it, so we were grateful to find that problem and get it fixed! There were so many other ways too that we saw God work... and though we do not always understand why God allows these things, we know He promises that all things work together for good!!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Whew, I'm glad that your boys got there in time! I'm so sorry that this happened to you all, I've never been in a fire so I couldn't even imagine it. I'm glad that you are all okay, and I hope that by now the house is back to normal.

    Sometimes things like this happen, and bring you more together during the holiday season. It sounds like that was the case. (And they teach everyone to be careful with their microwaves!)
    3446 days ago
  • JUDITH316
    PTL you are all safe. Isn't our God awesome, He sure set His angels charge over you and your house. Wonderful news that everything turned out well and there was minimal damage. Most important of all you, your sons and dogs were all protected from serious injury, for that I am rejoicing with you and praising God for the wonderful outcome. To God be the Glory!
    3800 days ago
    Amazing! So glad that you are all okay!

    3837 days ago
  • no profile photo CD3625825
    Thank you Jesus for keeping Margie and family safe. Lord to actually have a carpenter there to fix the house - only you could have worked that out. Lord and for Margie's two sons to have a dream that this would happen, prepared them to prevent the fire from getting worse!! All family members [including the dogs] were safely outside the house, Lord you are awesome.
    Thank you Jesus for having your hand in this situation. Thank you Jesus for working a near major disaster into a lesser fire. Thank you Jesus that the neighbors/visitors were on hand to help the situation work out also - shows that you were protecting Margie and family. I praise you Jesus for having your hand in all of this.

    Margie thank you for sharing this with us. It is encouraging to know that even in a fire, Jesus was there to help you!!

    emoticon emoticon
    3856 days ago
    I'm singing God's Praises with you...His hand of protection was clearly there!
    3857 days ago
    Praise to the Lord you are all ok and safe. Also that there was not more damage done. God is so good.
    3858 days ago
    It's amazing how God works. Glad everyone is okay.
    3858 days ago
  • no profile photo CD4599720
    Boy Meg...having been to your house and seeing these photos I can picture exactly the placement of everything. I am so glad for the safety of your family.

    God is always with us! emoticon
    3859 days ago
    Rejoicing with you that everyone's safe. Praise the Lord!!!
    3859 days ago
    So glad that you are safe and that you were able to see God's hand of blessing in so many ways! His hand is always there - it's just always an extra perk to be able to see it so clearly!
    3859 days ago
    All things work for the Glory of the Lord. Glad to hear that you all are safe. May many blessings come through this experience to your family.
    3859 days ago
    Praise the lord you are safe!!! That is all that matters!!!!
    3859 days ago
    Praise God that the fire was contained where it was and no one was injured! It's great to hear about things like this and the way God worked it all out for good! Happy to have you back on SparkPeople after the Christmas activities. It's a wonderful time of year, but so busy and I'm looking forward to getting back to a more normal routine.
    3859 days ago
    I'm so sorry about your house fire. I can't imagine going through that anytime let alone during Christmas. Thank God you were all safe. I pray it all works out for you. The insurance, finances, rebuiding, and all. May the God of peace give you His peace that passes all understanding. Tammy
    3859 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.