2011 Hamilton Around The Bay 30km 2 person relay

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

So this is my first official race of 2011- I planned the first 15km leg of this relay.
My parents live in Hamilton and this race is the oldest race in North America.. older than Boston even!

Well, a couple of weeks ago I had a long run; about 14km or so; was a great run but I did NOT stretch, nor walk a lot, nor cool down, had lunch plans so quickly showered, (after finding a blister on my girlie bits) and met my BFF (and relay partner) for lunch. Had a fab lunch and when I got up I was REALLY stiff! Back of my right leg was really sore. Limped around and it got worse. LOTS.
Saw chiro guy the next day as it got REALLY bad and he said I tore my popliteus muscle -which is a muscle at the very top of the calf muscle, below the back of the knee.. very small tear.. but not fun; very hard to walk.. ice, rest, ice, rest.. Ibuprofen.. yes. Stayed off of it for a week and then had a run last week on it. Felt FINE, until 3km and then BA-AD pain, but this time to the lower calf.. not achilles.. just lower calf, both tibia and fibula sides. Couldn't complete more than 4km cause the pain was so bad; made no difference whether I slowed to a walk or not.
SO-some kind of ultrasonic machine to my leg a few times and rested with NO running before the race. It was still swollen but I wasn't walking strange anymore.
Race Day!
Sunny skies but REALLY cold.. -10 degrees celcius.. and close to -20 with the wind chill. Got in the car and made our way to Copps Collesium (early).
Our usual underground parking spot was blocked by cops and barricades and there was a guy waving us in the closest parking lot to Copps.. the day before the parking was like 8 bucks for the day; so I thought.. why not?
Pull in.. "TWENTY BUCKS LADY!".. I was like WHAT??!!! Are you KIDDING ME??!
I think I'll leave.. he said, "No backing up, there's a line up of cars behind you, we have to park 7,000 people; so move it!"
So I gave him the stupid $25 bucks and made our way to another guy waving us down to park up against the back of an apartment complex. We park.. 'GET CLOSER, REALLY TIGHT" so I have to let Penni out cause our doors are almost kissing the ones next to it... I repark.. I get out.. no car beside me.. open the front door, rear door.. keys in pocket and lock the doors, do to the back of the car and start taking our running stuff out.. realize I might be too cold with only THREE jackets/shirts I have on.. take off my racing jacket and put on my thermal jacket.. they start parking a guy next to me.. "MOVE CLOSER" he screams.. "GET IT TIGHT!".. so the guy lets out his passengers and starts to back up.. he's backing up near my feet.. I said, "hey! Just give me a second, k?!" and the attendant guy says.. "NO! Have to hurry!" So I push my butt into the rear door and push the front door shut so the guy can park.. then I turn back around and go to open the rear door (which is not COMPLETELY shut) and...
My keys, my bag, my race bib, my music, my garmin, my money, my EVERYTHING AS WELL AS ALL MY BFF'S STUFF IS LOCKED IN THE CAR WITH MY KEYS!
I have a thermal jacket on and two long sleeve technical shirts. I'm in the shade and its -20 outside. No hat, no mitts, not NOTHING!
So I freakin panic! I yell at the guy for being an arse whole and he made me lock the keys in the car (in hind site he didn't MAKE me lock the car but he did make me shut the doors-really MY fault)-he just stood there with snot dripping down his nose and freezing on his face. We asked if anyone had a wire coat hanger (another runner said it wouldn't work with my car anyways-some Jeep thing) and then couldn't find the number for CAA. My BFF and I both had our phones on us (THANK YOU LORD!) and I called my mom (30 min away) and told her what happened. I had a spare key (which, by the way, does NOT work on the one freakin key hole I have in my car) in my purse which I left purposely (thank god again) at her house. She found it and started to make her way downtown. I called CAA (Like AAA) and they would be 45 minutes before they could get to me. I had 1 hour before my race. 45 minutes before Penni had to board her bus to the half way mark.
I was TOTALLY freaking out.. not only because MY stuff was in there.. that's bad enough.. but my BFF's stuff was ALSO locked in there and TOTALLY MY FAULT!
anyways; my parents broke sound barriers and speed limits and made it down there in less than 15 minutes (THANKS MOM AND DAD!) and she threw my purse at Penni from the window.. I prayed over and over again for the stupid key to work-cause its on the list of things to fix on my car! Stuck it in the key hole.. jiggled.. jiggled.. jiggled.. jiggled
It opened!
With thirty minutes to spare we got our stuff out (our breakfast now frozen and unedible in the back seat) and Penni ran off to the bus (WE ARE FREEZING BY NOW) and I did NOT lock the doors again! I didn't give a rats behind if someone stole whatever was left inside of it!

I made my way into Copps.. well, it was 7,000 people for the 30km race; and a TOTAL of 11,000 people (the others were for the 5km race)-so it was BUSY!

Saw this veteran..
He actually was in front of me; and went back into Copps after about 1 minute of running.. so kinda sucky that he was lying about being in all those races.
We walked to the start.. and walked.. and couldn't find the end.. so walked some more.. three more blocks down.. still no end.. so walked some more.. I heard a bull horn, so I figured it was a 'reminder' like 5 minutes or something, yanno? Cause I didn't hear anything else... and then walked some more.. didn't have a watch on, just my garmin.. then finally made it down four blocks and found the end of the line.. stood there.. moved over to the right side (my parents were 4km up on the right-waiting to take pictures).. stood.. stamped my frozen feet.. checked my time on my iphone 9:38!! wha??!! We're still standing here! It's late! Then we start to walk a bit.. FINALLY. we're moving.. still no starter pistol or anyone saying GO!
So we walk for two blocks or so.. just kinda going with the flow.. no 'mat' crossing.. no CHIP board crossing.. just walking.. then suddenly we're kinda jogging a bit.. (I'm very close to the back) and I realize we're WAY past the road we're supposed to 'start' at.. no chip board?
Then I realize that we had started about ten minutes prior!!!
Wow.. that sucked.
So.. ran.. felt great.. COLD, yes.. but stuck one ear bud in (music was not recommended) and put my music on low.. (I use Nike, so its on my ipod).. and had started my Garmin when we started to jog.. my pace was about 7-7:15 min/km which was good for me cause it felt fine.. not too fast, good breathing, no shortness of breath.. felt no twinges.. fantastic! Taking a week off helped!
3km in and suddenly the back of my right calf is tight.. I mean.. PAINFUL TIGHT.. like.. WHA??!!!
getting worse with every step.. now I'm limping.. I walk for a few steps but it doesn't make it feel better.. not worse.. just not any better.
So my parents are at 4km.. so I'm getting hot and decide to take off one of my thermals.. here they are taking a pic of me..

Took my orange thermal off and told them my calf was messed up.. they asked me if I was going to continue.. ABSOLUTELY!
I took off running again.. THIRSTY!
Lost one of my gatorade fuel belt bottles along the way :0(
They were meeting me at around 7km marker.. I plodded alone; my pace hovering back down towards the 8min/km pace.. only ONE water station was passed.. THREE porta potties at that one THREE!!! ( For 11,000 people!)
There were people peeing in alleys.. between cars.. it was TERRIBLE!
Made my way passed the 7km mark and never saw my parents.. kept going.. started on Woodward and got hit straight in the face with Lake Ontario winds.. WOW.. Co-OLD!
Kept plodding along.. hit the 10km chip mat at 1:26.. now take off about ten minutes for getting to the starting line.. LOL...
Called Penni from my iphone to tell her I was slow.. my plan was 2 hours.. I was secretly hoping for 1:45.. (shhhh) and she didn't answer her phone! ARGHH
Called her at 12km, 13km, and 14km.. finally she answered her phone.. I'M SCREWED!!! My CALF IS SCREWED!.. She said it was fine.. take my time. just take it easy.. what a BFF!.. At 1/2 km to go..
I decided that no matter WHAT I did I couldn't get rid of this pain.. I was limping SOOO badly.. so.. what do I do? I'm SOOO close to getting there in 2 hours still!
I RAN.. like.. RAN.. sprinted.. you should have seen the looks I had.. passing about 20 people.. and I sounded like a wounded, wet, bull moose.. OMG.. I was grunting.. surging.. grunting.. sprinting.. went about 1/2 the distance and went.. OMG!!! I'm gonna puke! I ran harder.. I couldn't even feel anything anymore the adrenalin just took over.. saw Penni.. she took pictures..

Yes... it was a horrible run.. I stumbled to the ground to undo the chip timer (stupid way to do the relay, having to TIE it to your shoe) and shoved it at Penni.. I finally stopped my garmin after swallowing down my bile

So it was really close, if not 2 hours for my 15km.

Now it took us about 2 minutes to exchange chips, tie shoes, start her garmin and itouch.. I didn't realize that I didn't even cross the 15km chip mat!!

There's Penni trying to see her itouch in the blazing sun.. LOL.. took her a bit.. but she got it and OFF she went!

Now Penni crossed the 15km mat.. that made no sense.. and she got all the hills.. THANK YOU PENNI!
She does a lot of hill training at home.. I do rolling minute tiny hills. she does H.I.L.L.S.
I grabbed the bus back (thank you!) and limped my way to the first seat
Long bus ride back just seized up the leg.. so when it was time to get off I was REALLY limping, hardly weight bearing at all. Walked back to Copps, then into Copps then UP the stairs (didn't want to look like a goof and take the escalator-HIND SIGHT.. SHOULD HAVE!) then DOWN the stairs to the designated meeting place (GREAT IDEA!)

ate my food and waited about 30 min for parents.. then we waited for my BFF.. boy its a long wait when you don't know what's happening.. I was so worried.. she's been deathly ill with influenza A for the past month.. I was thinking she even had pneumonia cause her cough/breathing was so bad.. I was soo worried that she'd have problems breathing and she had this HUGE hill to go up.. bigger than heart break hill at Boston!

It was at the 26km mark; so just when you feel REALLY tired and exhausted they throw this son of a gun at you.. and you know what?
SHE DID IT! She conquered that hill!
When she came in at 4 hours I was 'whoo hooing" and my mom came up to me crying and telling her how proud she was of us! Took a video of Penni.. can't post here.. and it was very emotional.
She waited downstairs for us.. I had to go back UP the stairs and then back DOWN the stairs to meet her.. OOOOO.. what a meeting!

Fantastic! We cried.. and limped back to the unlocked car..
Chocolate milk enroute.

Hot shower, ice to limpy bits (painful!) a whole lotta Ibuprofen
and out for a celebratory dinner.
Gun Time:4:00:21.7
Avg Pace: 8:01
Chip Time: 3:53:42.9
Bib #R432
Place: 77/85 Open Female
Jennifer Smith Gun Time: 2:09:43 Pace: 8:39
Penni Patenaude Gun Time: 1:50:40 Pace: 7:23
Gun Time: 4:00:22

And that, my friends.. is THAT!
I'm really stiff and sore.. right calf thingy has improved just now hurting EVERYWHERE, even my flanks, ribs, arms.. etc.. now onwards and forward!
sprint tri in July!!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Wow, even though things were kind of a mess it sounds like you are still happy you went. Congrats, now take care of that leg!

    LV emoticon
    3576 days ago
    OOpps! Decided to throw in a half marathon in June at Niagara on the Lake for some training.. why not run in a really pretty place, get free schwag, t-shirt and medal for doing something I have to be doing anyways? Plus.. gets me away from the house having ME time! AHHHH I am one smart cookie! LOL
    3576 days ago
    You should have thrown your water bottle at the parking guy. Just saying@! Love the play by play - but worry about you and your pains! Hope you are better now!

    3578 days ago
  • no profile photo PURPLEPENNI
    OMG! I'm going to cry just reading your part about when I was running! I'm sorry it was so agonizing for you physically and then mentally when I was gone. I just don't stop EVER when I run. I don't stop to pee. I drink when I walk, I "gu" when I run. Stopping to adjust my MANY layers and take my inhaler before the big hill was the most I have ever stopped! EVER! I too was hoping for 1:45 but 1:50 is fine considering the past month and how freakin' cold it was on Sunday!

    I love you BFF and we got MANY more races in us...even if they are slow! emoticon
    3582 days ago
    I have been wondering about you!! WTG!!
    Glad to see you're staying in the game.
    Love seeing that Smile!!
    3582 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.