150,000-199,999 SparkPoints 177,957

Friends, Family, and Infections

Monday, July 09, 2012

The past week has been eventful, with Independence Day, a family celebration, and my Big Guy getting sick.

I did okay with my meals and tracking up until the 4th. Because of the situation, I did not track anything after breakfast that day. The 5th went well, until I ate a Costco Polish Dog. Those are EVIL! The funny thing is, I don’t really LIKE hot dogs, unless they are served with chili or baked beans. I was shopping with my mom and she offered to treat me. I think finding out they have 570 freaking calories and 32 bloody grams of fat will help me resist the urge with no problem. 6th an 7th, eh so-so. I did make my exercise goals, but I also made a conscious effort at it.

Independence Day was spent at Queen’s Beach in Waikiki with The Big Guy and my parents, The Big Guy’s cousins and friends. I bought 2 veggie tray’s, and 3 lbs of asparagus at Costco to take. I wanted bring some meat, but The Big Guy said no need. There was grilled steak, I sprayed the asparagus with EVOO and seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground pepper and cooked it on the grill. I had about 6-8 oz of steak and the veggies, plus about a cup of homemade pasta salad. The salad may not have been the best choice, but it was tasty. I would go in the water, come out, munch on veggies, reapply sun screen, go back to the water, come out, more veggies, take pictures. We were there from about 10:30 in the morning until after the Fireworks at 8:30 that night. Here are some Pictures of the Day. Here is The Big Guy as a human floaty toy with his nieces. See how crowded the beach is. Surf was up, lots of boards in the water. plus it was full moon, so we had an extra high tide. Then a beautiful light show to end the night. The only down side was The Big Guy got a pretty bad sunburn on his scalp.

Friday, I had work, and I received a phone call from The Big Guy. He woke up when his teeth started chattering so hard, he was afraid he was going to crack one. I was afraid he was getting sick from the sunburn on his scalp. I told him to take some Tylenol, even though he didn’t have a fever, and drink plenty of water. I checked him when I got home, and he did have a fever by then, so I gave him some more Tylenol and let him sleep.

Saturday was work and after, we went to my Auntie’s house to celebrate her retirement. I still needed to burn about 30 calories to make my calorie goal for the week, so I went for a 30 minute walk before dinner. We had Hawaiian food, and I don’t care for most of it, so control was not that hard. I had about ½ cup of Lomi Lomi Salmon, 1 cup of Chicken Long Rice, and a little more than 3oz of Shoyu Chicken. It was great seeing every one, especially my cousin and his family from Florida. We got home a little after 8pm. And I went upstairs to check on The Big Guy. I had called him a couple times, and he sounded blah, but not like he was congested. I woke him up and asked how he was. He rolled over and asked me, “Why does my leg feel hot?” Oh crap. I looked at his left leg and saw that it was visibly swollen and red from ankle to knee. I told him, “You are going to the ER, you have cellulitis and need IV antibiotics.” Luckily, my mom had her friend’s van, so she was able to drive us. We were also lucky in that he went back to be seen pretty quickly, and the ER doc saw him right away. She looked at his leg, and promptly told him she would like to contact the Hospitalist and have him admitted. The Big Guy wasn’t happy, but agreed. They promptly started him on two IV antibiotics, one of them pretty heavy duty. I had to leave before they took him to his room, mom was afraid she would fall asleep behind the wheel, but when I saw him this afternoon, he was looking sooo much better. He was hoping they would discharge him, but at least one more day.

Hopefully next week will be a lot quieter.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Oh wow - you did have QUITE a week!!
    Thanks for sharing your pics of the beach. Looks and sounds like
    you had an AWESOME day.
    emoticon emoticon emoticon
    Glad you insisted on taking The Big Guy to the hospital! Imagine if he hadn't gone!! Hope he is all better by now!!
    You are doing great. Keep up the good work.
    3221 days ago

    Comment edited on: 7/12/2012 4:29:48 AM
    Wow - sounds like an adventure for sure. Glad to hear that you had a good time at the beach with your family! Mmmmm - shoyu chicken! :)

    Hopefully by now the Big Guy is back home, and is over the infection.

    3221 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by HWNHMMBRD