MUFFINSANDMOCHA
250-499 SparkPoints 378
SparkPoints
 

Paid Research Opportunity for Undergrads...would you do it?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Every once in a while I get inspired to do something completely out of character for me. This morning I woke up moving about as slow as a turtle. Yet, when I got an email from my college I suddenly became revived. There is a research opportunity for undergraduates being hosted at Virginia Tech. My major apparently could qualify for it. There is FREE room and food along with free parking pass (if you want to bring your car) and a $5000 stipend. I'm unsure how stipends work but it said it was in addition to the other things! I know this may sound completely crazy but I've NEVER gotten to go to a college where I could live on campus, share a room, or have any real feeling college experience.

The experience is called : Paid Summer Research Experience at Virginia Tech

The Reasearch would cover: approaches to understanding and preventing societal violence

Heres the catch, it would delay my graduation (im supposed to graduate in summer and it's a summer research opportunity)

It's 4.5 hours away

I may not get in

The Deadline is the 25th like 3 days away!

HELP!

This is a what would you do question because I REALLY need advice,

I do not have a mom or dad to help me with this.

Love my grandparents but they are positive about..well..everything

Even if you have never had the chance to do this, I'm just wondering if given the opportunity, WOULD YOU?

Thanks in advance to all that help!!

qw
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • SHERRYGAYL
    I agree with your other friend. If you apply and don't get offered the spot, nothing lost. If you apply and get offered a spot, you can make the final decision then. If you don't apply, you'll never know. Putting off graduation might be a problem, depending on what requirements you were going to complete in the summer and if they are available in the fall. A potential move may complicate but there are options there, too. I.E., postpone the move until you're done, have Nick handle the move and you head to Florida when you're finished, etc.

    Definitely talk it over with Nick before making any decisions but since you're almost out of time on the application my opinion is to apply and see what happens.
    3008 days ago
  • MUFFINSANDMOCHA
    Yes it does sound interesting! Thanks Brooke I appreciate your input on that!!! I'm going to try to think really hard about it. I didnt realize you could back out of it if you decided that it was not for you. I need to talk to Nick about it because the plan was for me to graduate this summer and for us to move this year... that is IF we sell our house and IF he finds a job in Florida. A lot of ifs.... I dunno but again tahnks for your advice! I hate looking back and wondering. I'm also a bit worried though because I know change in general...any type.. often stresses me out which leads to me getting really sick. So I have to kinda weigh that with it! How is your week going?
    3008 days ago
  • BROOKIE389
    I would apply for it. Since the deadline is 3 days away, you have to make a fast decision! If you don't get it, then you lost nothing but the time it took to submit the application. If you do get it, you have a few months to really decide if you want to do it! You can always back out if you want to. But if you don't apply, you'll never know! Maybe in a few months, you'll find yourself in the perfect place to go for it. Or maybe not! Either way, it sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity! Just go for it :)
    3008 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment


    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.
 

More Blogs by MUFFINSANDMOCHA