Weight Ain't Nothin' But a Number
Sunday, March 24, 2013
Sundays are my weigh-in days, and today I saw a loss of 2.4 pounds on the scale. That makes 18.8 pounds lost in 5 weeks. I should be ecstatic, right? But I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I saw that number. After losing an average of 4 pounds per week for a month, that 2.4 seemed insignificant. Why do we feel like that? I mean, it's totally illogical to be disappointed with a weight LOSS, becausing losing weight is the whole point! And on top of that, 2 pounds per week is a healthy speed to lose weight, and I know that. I walked toward the scale today telling myself that I hope for 4lbs, but I will be happy with 2lbs. But when that little negative-nelly creeps back into your head, sometimes it can be hard to kick her out! And for me, negative self-talk is a common enemy.
The only way that I can combat negative self-talk, disappointment, and doubt, is to literally give myself a pep talk. And part of that is celebrating all of my successes, no matter how "insignificant" I might think they are. So here is list of ways that my life has improved in the last 5 weeks, that have nothing to do with the weight on the scale:
1. The equiptment I haul for my karaoke business feels lighter.
2. I can lift heavier weights at the gym.
3. I need to set the elliptical on a higher level to achieve the same calorie burn.
4. My resting heart rate is lower. My heart is getting stronger and more efficient.
5. I am able to fall asleep easier and sleep through the night more consistently.
6. I crave Endorphins the way I used to crave Nicotine.
7. My skin looks younger and more glowing.
8. I just FEEL stronger, healthier and better!
9. I am more flexible and can do stretches I could not do a month ago.
10. I am starting to get those compliments like, "you look great! What's different?"
So there is just a top 10 of things that make everything I am doing worth it! So, if I need a little more motivation, I can think about these things and keep on truckin', so to speak. I hope that if you need a little extra motivaton you can come up with your own list and feel great about yourself!