200,000-249,999 SparkPoints 240,835

BLC 32 WEC-Don't Give Up! Reflection

Monday, October 03, 2016

I have been a member of Sparkpeople for 8 years. I have lost weight and gained weight since I've been a member. I am currently re focusing after a two year slide back to my original starting weight. This time around I am taking a good hard look at myself and my thought process or lack of it. I started this round with a goal to consistantly track my calorie intake and maintain consistant fitness minutes. I will not accept excuses. I am also trying to stay more connected to my team. It feels different this time around because I am so focused. I started this round with a different mindset because I was tired of feeling out of control so often. I was tired of always starting over. This doesn't mean that this round has been easier for me. It is always a struggle. But I am finding that if I tell myself 'I can do it' instead of 'I can't' things actually happen. I am a planner and I have started planning out my workouts on a weekly basis. I sit down with the calendar and go through my week's events and plan my workouts accordingly. So far that is working very well. I always plan my weekly menus and that is also going well. I feel like I am in control of my situation 80% of the time and the other 20% I am learning to go with the flow. I have enough information to make informed choices whether I am eating out or grabbing a snack on the run. I am squeezing in exercise when I can and acknowledging that I feel better when I do. My plan is working and that is more motivating than anything. The only thing that is frustrating is how long it is taking for the pounds to leave! I am learning to have patience. I am making good choices and the signs I am hoping to see because of that will eventually be there. I will not quit because I have come too far already to turn around and go back! Here is a story that illustrates this concept for me:

On Friday, I was hiking in my favorite area, Cougar Mountain. My dog decided to do her business about 10 minutes into the hike. I knew I wouldn't be returning on the same trail so I didn't want to leave the waste bag for a later pickup. I didn't want to carry it in my backpack with my snacks or in my hand for a 4 mile hike. I decided to tie it onto her leash. I made good work of it, multiple knots and even knotted it to an extra waste bag I had on the leash. We had a great hike, lots of inclines, lots of beautiful views. About an hour later I noticed I no longer had the waste bag! I looked behind me on the trail, the switchbacks I had just traversed and had no idea where it might have fallen off. I felt horrible, but there was no way I was going back down that steep incline to find the bag, especially since I didn't know how far away it might have been. This is the exact feeling I am having on my weight loss journey now. It is not worth it to go through all the hardship again to find something that was garbage in the first place. (but I am sorry for whoever finds that garbage...I had good intentions really!) I will not go backward, just forward. I will not give up!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • 4CYNDI
    Wow! Great job on the hike and dealing with the challenging situations. Sounds like you have a great sustainable plan in place. Make it work for you and have fun!
    1765 days ago
    Great blog - Loved your analogy! LOL I think you are doing a fantastic job and will keep it up until you make it to your goal! emoticon
    1765 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.