What have you noticed when losing weight?
Monday, April 03, 2017
(I really don't like saying I'm "losing" weight, though, because it sounds like I want to find it again! Maybe I'll go the increasingly popular route and say I'm "evicting" the weight? That's right, I'm the landlord and I say you're OUTTA HERE!)
When losing weight, no matter at what stage of your journey, your body thanks you for every pound lost. Even if we don't think one or two pounds is a big deal, it truly is! And even if we're not seeing a huge difference on the scale, on the measuring tape or in our clothing sizes, there's still positive change happening on the inside that makes us feel so much better.
Since 2014 I've removed about fifty pounds, and have another forty-five left to go. Ideally I'd like to drop to 130-140 pounds, which is very healthy for my height, but right now 150 feels like a more feasible goal. Once I get to 150, then I'll think about going lower! I've noticed SO many positive changes, some of them being very gradual and others seeming like they happened overnight.
It might be a good idea to jot down the changes you notice over time, because that way you can look back and see how far you've come even if the scale is claiming you've not progressed much!
Here's what I've noticed this year alone as I dropped back into the 100s for the first time since 2010:
- My feet don't hurt during or after my walks, or when I wake up in the morning. I was experiencing intense heel pain that my old doctor had chalked up to obesity, and that's completely vanished now.
- My knees are no longer constantly in pain. In fact, they rarely even twinge now!
- I no longer experience pelvic pain (at the left sacroiliac joint). When I was a kid I injured this joint with a hard fall on concrete, and it's been periodically bothering me ever since, and MUCH more so since I gained so much weight!
- I can get out of a car without heaving myself out of it.
- I can walk up stairs more easily.
- My skin is looking healthier and is starting to glow.
- According to my husband, I'm no longer snoring at night.
- My mind is clearer, I can focus more easily, and I just feel refreshed and "clean" inside, if that even makes any sense! I say that's a combination of weight loss and consuming far less bread, red meat, and sugar.
- My endurance and pace are increasing every week.
- I have more energy.
- I've had chronic depression (diagnosed) since I was a kid, but the exercise and my body performing better has really helped with my worst symptoms.
- I sleep SO MUCH BETTER at night and don't feel the need to nap in the day anymore.
- People seem to notice me more. This isn't always a good thing, as I don't do well around people or when I'm noticed, haha!
- I feel more of a desire to take care of myself on the surface because I feel so good on the inside.
Since I've joined the Spring 5% Challenge, I'm aiming to lose ten pounds in eight weeks. I imagine I'll be feeling even more of a difference at that point, and I'm pretty excited about it!
What have you noticed in your journey, readers?