TRAINING--AND TIME--September 2018
Thursday, September 20, 2018
I started working 3x/week with a personal trainer, 6 sessions ago. I was nervous; he's ex-Marine, and the name of his studio was daunting (it has the word 'forge' in it, and I hadn't thought of myself as something that tough), but he LISTENS, pays attention to what he hears, and is aware of the problems of an ageing body--okay, as aware as anyone at least 25+ years younger than I am can be expected to be.
From him I am already learning:
1. It's more than okay to take things slowly--going to fast leads to discouragement--if it doesn't lead to outright injury.
2. Paying attention to what is working during an exercise is very smart. Noticing right away what isn't working is essential.
3. A smile makes most exercises easier (but try not to let it become a grimace).
4. Warm up--AND cool down/stretch--are non-negotiable.
5. There's always a way to exercise parts of a body that don't work well.
All in all, I'm actually enjoying this experience. And, after only 6 sessions, my flexibility and my willingness to get out of bed have increased a LOT.