30,000-39,999 SparkPoints 39,782

A bad couple of weeks

Sunday, July 26, 2020

The title pretty much sums it up. First, about 10 days ago, we woke up to find Trinket, our little cat, acting really off. Weird things - normally she wakes me up by nudging me in the face, or tapping me with her paw. She was on the pillow on the dresser and not moving. Her eyes were dilated but she was just sitting there and acted afraid. At first, I thought she had gone blind.

I called the emergency vet after consulting with my sister, who is a vet. We decided to wait until our vet was open, just to see if we could get in but they didn't have an appointment until 3. We took it, but decided to take her to emergency.

They assessed her and said her vitals were fine but couldn't tell more without a vet seeing her. They triage first, before charging you, which I thought was pretty good. We decided we were more comfortable with her regular vet, so we took her home and watched her, then took her in .

Nothing could be found on physical exam and at least she had normal vision function. I decided to proceed with bloodwork and blood pressure testing and we went home. At home, I moved a laundry basket in the hallway...and found a pill that was chewed up with the contents all over the floor! It was a medication that I take, and I quickly called the vet back. It was clear that sometime in the night, she had found this pill to play with and bit into it.

They had me call poison control and pretty much, they take your information and consult with your vet. Basically, it was a watch and see situation. The next day, her tests were normal.

It took her several days to be back to herself. It was extremely upsetting as I felt so guilty that I had dropped something that she got into. It has been a terrible fear of mine that came true.

Overlapping with this was the fact that Ken was experiencing chest pain. We had gone to the ER a couple of weeks ago and went home as the wait to see someone was so long. HIs cardiologist put him on an extended version of nitroglycerin, suspecting spasms. We went in for an appointment on Friday, day after the Trinket event, and had some tests done.

His levels of tryponin (indicates a bit of heart damage) were a bit high so he and his doctor decided he needed to go in for an angioplasty. That was July 22, this past Wednesday. He had to have another stent placed and had to stay overnight. It was a nightmare. His roommate was not wearing his mask consistently, and talked loudly and constantly on the phone. Despite expressing my concerns several times to the nursing staff, including the charge nurse, nothing was done. We were about to check him out but the on-call doctor talked him out of it.

I went home at about 10:30 and was back there early the next morning. Because visting hours are restricted, it was difficult to get back to his room. The oncall doctor had assured him we would be first on rounds and he would expedite his discharge. None of that happened and we never saw the doctor. Ken told me that it got so bad that he went into the bathroom to try and sleep on the bench in there. I am still so upset about all of this and Ken still isn't feeling great. He had some problems with bleeding control after the procedure and has been really tired.

This just adds to my discouragement about the world. I have come away feeling like so there is too little concern for others. I consistently see it when I'm out; despite the required mask orders, I observed several people in the store with their masks off, and one man going around telling others that they weren't required to. I'm ready to move into the woods far away from people.

So I hate to be the negative nelly, but recent experiences have left me bereft. I hope things are better in your world.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Betsy, I'm sorry I missed this blog when you posted it. What a disappointing, disturbing experience you and Ken had to endure! I am so sorry things were so poorly managed and you had to go through so much worry, frustration, and disillusionment. That the mask debate is still ongoing in the US is truly baffling. I understand your desire to go be a hermit in the woods. My husband said the same thing just this morning.

    After reading the blog you wrote more recently, I'm happy to see that Ken and Trinket are better. Thank goodness!
    50 days ago
  • ERIN1128
    I'm so sorry you and your husband had such a bad experience! That's awful. Glad your kitty has bounced back though. Hang in there.
    63 days ago
  • MARTHA324
    It is hard to stay positive these days even if everything is going well and you really had your challenges this week. I hope your husband is home & doing well and so happy your cat is OK. We all do things like drop something our pets can get into and it happens.

    Regarding mask constantly amazes me that people won't wear them. Here in NY it's about 99% compliant but then I see pictures at a state park a week ago and large crowd and no one wearing a mask. The state shut it down again. NY after getting pounded is not taking any chances.

    It seems like the whole country needs to reset and basically go back to mid March when most things were closed, practice social distancing and EVERYONE WEAR THE DAMN MASK!
    63 days ago
    So sorry you have had to deal with all of this. Hoping that Ken recuperates peacefully at home. And that you recuperate from the stress. Thank God everyone is okay. emoticon
    Here’s wishing peaceful and happy weeks to come.
    63 days ago
    So sorry to hear of your troubles. Easier said than done but try to get them behind you & look for the brighter day. Rude people are everywhere but glad I'm in a little town where I don't see so much "city stuff."
    emoticon emoticon
    64 days ago
    Oh my dear, you need a hug. emoticon You need more than a hug, but that’s all I can give you, and even that isn’t physical. I don’t know why but bad things never seem to happen alone, there’s always more than one at a time. I’m glad that the kitty was ok, after all. They’re truly curious creatures.
    The incident with your husband is pretty distressing. Selfishness is on the rise in our society. It’s all about me first. But there really are kind and thoughtful people out there, and I believe that there are more of them than the other.
    I’m so sorry that you’re seeing so much rudeness. I hope that changes.
    64 days ago
    emoticon emoticon emoticon

    I am so sorry for your bad weeks!!! Glad you found out what was troubling the kitty and that she's recovered. Do not beat yourself up over the pill getting away from you, it does no good to do that. DO let yourself rejoice in her recovery.

    As for Ken, my heart aches for the situation at the hospital, and I can only hope that somehow we'll come out on the other side of this with MORE compassion for others! I am sooooo tired and over the "arguing over mask or not mask"... mandated or not, the right thing to do is the right thing to do... do for others what you'd want done for yourself, right?

    More virtual hugs... you are cared for from afar! emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
    64 days ago
    "So I hate to be the negative nelly, but recent experiences have left me bereft. I hope things are better in your world."
    * You're not alone.

    Really sorry to hear both about your cat and loved one. Any one of the three things you mentioned would easily crown your last fortnight as bad in and of itself.

    64 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.