Wednesday, February 10, 2021
The school I work at is extremely conscientious about sanitizing everything. They have to be - they have parents to answer to. So when I work at after school care, as I did today, one of the things I do is disinfect all the tables and chairs after the kids have left. Actually, I try to do the tables one at a time, as they empty, rather than leaving them all to the end.
We use a bleach spray most of the time. It's fairly dilute - so many table spoons per gallon. Today the spray bottle I was using had a defective nozzle. When I used it, most of the bleach spray came out in the forward direction, as it was supposed to, on the table or chair I aimed at. However, a small amount came out of the nozzle in a very thin stream, at high pressure, directly back at me. I started spraying, and some of the spray hit me in the face. Most of it, in fact, hit my glasses. I was so shocked I didn't really even react. Then I stopped spraying, wiped my face with paper towels, and then cleaned my glasses. All I could think was, what would have happened if it had gone in my eyes. I am very happy I didn't find out. Dilute it may have been, but even dilute bleach would not be good for one's eyes.
I have to say that every day working is an adventure, one way or another.